Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Games

"Hey Rich, what did you do today?"
"I played some games, messed around with the dog, and made a game."
"Made a game?!?!?!"
You have no idea how many times I've had this conversation, and every single person is for some reason, surprised by this fact. I made a game today. I make games all the time, so does my brother, so does my friends, its pretty much a "thing" now with my friends and I. But for some reason, people outside of that circle always seem surprised, and astonished that I made a game. I got to thinking about this, "Do people just not make games?" So, I decided to make this post.

A Dummies Guide To Games

You play games all the time with your family, board games, card games, active games, but have you ever thought of making your own game?

First, if your going to make a board game, the first thing you need to do is get a board. Now, you have to start thinking about what size of a board do I want, what kind of board, well, since I'm not the brightest person, I'm going to show you only ONE way. FIGURE THE REST OUT YOURSELF.

Things you'll need:
A ruler (Preferably a nice, not bendy 12 inch ruler, I use a 18 inch stainless steal ruler with a no-slide back)
A Pencil (With a good eraser)
A Generals Eraser (optional, I use Generals because it leaves nothing behind)
And Finaly, some 34 hour block of time. (Make sure you have snacks, because this is gonna get crazy)

"Uh, uh, sir..."
"Yes Bob?"
"Dont we need, Paper?
"WELL OF COURSE YOU NEED PAPER!! DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU EVERYTHING?!"

Things you'll need(continued):
Paper (1-4 sheets)

"ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!" 
"yessirveryhappysir"
"Good."

Grab your ruler, line it up to the side of your paper, make a mark on the paper where every inch begins, do this to the other sides of your paper. Make sure you start from the same end as the first side. Example: If you start making your marks on the left side of the paper first, and you line your ruler up on the bottom, make sure to do the same thing to the right side, line the ruler up to the bottom, not the top. Now, line up your ruler to the marks, make lines from right to left of the paper, make sure to use the same marks on the paper. Example: Use the first inch mark on the left side of the paper with the first mark on the right side of the paper. Once you have them lined up, draw a line from one mark to the other. Do that with the rest of the marks.(You can make a 4 piece board, you can just repeat these steps 3 more times and tape the paper together)

Now you should have something that looks a lot like graph paper, except the cubes are an inch by an inch You will notice that some of the edges of the paper are not an inch by an inch cubes. You can either cut that off, or just make it look fancy, and pretend that was part of the plan.

Now, if you want to make a card game, or a card/boardgame, your gonna need cards.
Things you'll need:
Scissors
Ruler
Pencil
Nuke
And one sheet of paper. (depending on how many cards you want)

Same thing as the board, just diffrent size. When you line up your ruler to the long side of the paper, make marks on every 3 inches, and on the short side every 2 inches. Then make the lines again on the marks, Then cut out your cards.

Now that is the Board and Cards of the game (Just in case you cant read) now, if you need to have peices, continue on. You can also just use dice for peices.

Things You'll Need:
Paper
Scissors
Pencil
Ruler
A Belief In God

Now, your going to make a 1" by 1" by 1" cube. Make 1" make a square on the peice of paper, now make 2 more on top of that square. Now, make a square on each side of the top square. Then make one more square on top of the other 3. The shape of the squares should be in a Cross, cut it out, fold it, and tape it.

Now that I've taught you how to do this, when you make a game, ALWAYS wright down the rules in a book, or on a piece of paper, so that you and your friends can reference them, so that there are not arguments or confusion. Your first game /board/cards will not be perfect, practice them, and you'll do great. My first board was sposted to be half an inch squares, I had some half an inch squares, but most of them were 1" by 1/4", or other really weird lookin squares, now I have (after 2 years of practice) a near perfect, four piece board. If you do it more often that I did, you'll get it pretty quick. Thanks for reading!

 

2 comments:

  1. You and Brennan have made so many games I can't keep up with them all. You just need $10,000,000 for marketing and packaging and you'd be a millionaire. Or you could just keep the $10,000,000 and not worry about working at all. Whichever. I like cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete